Stevenson Dam work to resume
Crews will return to the lake’s northern end and continue dredging operations. More than 110,000 cubic yards of silt were removed last year. The material is being spread on reclaimed strip mines. They’re also upgrading the park’s boat launch area.
Water levels will be drawn down by 10 feet during the rehabilitation work, forcing the closure of the boat launch and the lake’s northern reaches for a second straight year. Normal water levels are expected to be restored by Independence Day.
The drawdown will affect the area from Lushbaugh Run south to the handicapped accessible fishing platform.
Dredging, combined with Brooks Run stream realignment, shoreline stabilization, installation of fish habitat structures, mooring and paving of boat launch roadway will improve boating opportunities and enhance fish and wildlife habitat.
Last year work included upgrades to the electrical infrastructure and computer systems, which will allow park managers to monitor soil and rock conditions as well as water movement.
The road to the boat launch area will be closed from the Day-Use Area entrance to Goss Road during work operations.
No boating will be permitted on the lake. Fishing will be prohibited near the dredging operations and vehicle and foot traffic will be restricted.
The lower portion of the lake will remain open for fishing near the dam and Short Bend Run along the eastern lake shoreline. Trout stocking has been suspended until the work is completed.
George B. Stevenson Dam, which is managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, was built in 1955. Its 142-acre reservoir offers opportunities for fishing and boating in a biologically diverse 1,910-acre park.
Park managers are fielding questions 814-647-8401. They’re also compiling a list of those who request regular updates by email at email@example.com.