2018-05-12 / Community Life

Last of Buchanan Brothers retires


Flanked by big brothers John (left) and Richard, Greg Buchanan had a relaxing send-off into retirement last Sunday. On the day following his retire­ment party, Greg made his way to a local golf course to begin the next phase of his life in earnest. 
Bill Pekarski photo Flanked by big brothers John (left) and Richard, Greg Buchanan had a relaxing send-off into retirement last Sunday. On the day following his retire­ment party, Greg made his way to a local golf course to begin the next phase of his life in earnest. Bill Pekarski photo More than 100 family and friends gathered at the Port Allegany American Legion/ VFW to celebrate the retire­ment of local pharmacist Greg Buchanan.

A 1971 graduate of Couder­sport Area High School, Greg has worked as a pharmacist and part-owner of Buchanan Brothers’ Pharmacy since 1978.

He is also respected for his dedication to youth activities around the area. He has been an active member of Knights of Columbus and was the driv­ing force behind the forma­tion of that organization’s scholarship program that has awarded more than $300,000 to college-bound students since 1983.

Originally known as Smith’s Drug store in Coudersport, the business was turned over to Greg’s father Charles Buchanan in 1958. Some years later, his three sons, Richard, John, and Greg, took over the ever-growing and expanding business which would become Buchanan Brothers’ Pharmacy in 1980.

Today, with five differ­ent locations, Buchanan Brothers is operated by third and fourth genera­tions.

Return to top